About John Christ
John Knoll, A.K.A. John Christ, is a professional musician, performer and guitar instructor. Mr. Knoll performed on more than six critically acclaimed rock and roll albums when he was the lead guitarist for the rock group, Danzig. Danzig’s hit song, Mother, was an international Billboard top 200 hit in 1993. Danzig also toured with Metallica, Black Sabbath, and Slayer through the U.S. Mr. Knoll also toured with Danzig through Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, parts of Asia, and South America.
After leaving Danzig, Mr. Knoll released his own solo CD, Flesh Caffeine in 1998. He also worked as a session musician for movie soundtracks and composed music for movie and television trailers. He performed for TV stations such as ABC and Nine Network Australia. These performances included working with artists including Tom Jones and Lou Rawls. During this time, Mr. Knoll also taught blues, rock, and provided training in performance, and improvisation.
Currently, John is teaching guitar privately and at Carroll Community College. John has an A.A. in music and is working to complete a B.S. in music when he is not performing in local venues.
John Christ (John Knoll) CV
EDUCATION Bachelor of Arts in Music, expected completion date May 2018
Associate in Fine Arts in Music May 2016
Carroll County Community College
Jazz composition major Sept 1985 - Feb 1987
Towson University, Towson, MD
Cumulative G.P.A. 3.52 / 4.0
Catonsville Community College Sept 1982 - Sept 1985
Johns Hopkins Peabody Preparatory Institute May 1978 - May 1979
INSTRUMENTS Guitar, piano, percussion, violin
STUDIED French horn, mandolin, voice, xylophone
Master Class/ Tommy Emmanuel instructor. Indian Head, NY July 2014
Guitar Workshop: Tommy Emmanuel instructor. Richmond, VA July 2012
TEACHING AND PERFORMING EXPERIENCE
Faculty in Music department Feb 2017 - present
· Rock ensemble and applied lessons, electric guitar
· Johns Hopkins Peabody Preparatory Institute, Towson, MD
Adjunct Faculty in Music department Feb 2014 - present
· Applied lessons, bass guitar, guitar, and guitar ensemble
· Carroll County Community College, Westminster, MD
Guitar Lessons and Workshops
· Coffey Music, Westminster, MD Feb 2015 - present
Lead Guitarist and vocalist 2012 to present
· Rock n’ Roll bands: “Half Serious” and “Think Tank” guest performances.
Solo Guitarist and vocalist/ other
· Founder / Vice-President “Hollywood Fires”, Santa Clarita, CA 2005-2013
o Performed services for Hollywood movies and television.
o Company was featured as an entrepreneur success in 10-4 Magazine 2003.
· Worked with rock and roll band “Bad Penny”, Santa Clarita, CA. 2009-2011
· Special performance. Sinix Concert Hall, Essex, MD. 2009
· Injuries from a near-fatal vehicular accident: could not perform as a musician. 2004- 2009
· Solo performances for Hollywood studio and production locations. 2001- 2011
Lead Guitarist for remake of “Sandman” by Metallica 2000
· Special performances and recording for Bob Kulick (former “Kiss” guitarist).
Accompanying Guitarist and vocalist with guitarist “Michael Harman” 1999
· Special performances and recording on Hartman’s CD, co producer on CD.
Lead Guitarist and vocalist - Rock and Roll “Eleanore Academia Band” 1998-1999
· Special performances and recording on the band’s CD’s, recorded demo CD’s.
Lead Guitarist and vocalist - Rock and Roll Band - “Juice 13” 1996-1997
· Regular and Special performances in California.
o “Bike Jam 1997” Paramount Studios.
o The Roxy theatre, The Living Room, Key Club.
Lead Guitarist, vocalist and songwriter for CD “Flesh Caffeine” 1997-1998
· Writer, author, and performer of solo CD – John Knoll.
Lead Guitarist, National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM) Dec 1995
· Billed as “Angeles Dukes”.
· Was the opening act for rock and roll band “Gov’t Mule” and guitarist Allan Holdsworth
Location: Anaheim, CA.
· Member of American Federation of Musicians Local 47. 1988-1995
Lead Guitarist, Rock and Roll Band - “Danzig” 1988-1995
· Stage name was “John Christ”.
· Over 325 performances around the world. Tours in:
o US: 38 states and Canada
o Scotland, England, France, Belgium; Austria, Germany, Holland; Denmark, Italy
o Brazil, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand and Japan
o See Appendix 1 for details of tours and recordings.
· Opened or co-headed with bands:
o “Black Sabbath”,“Metallica’,“Godflesh”, “White Zombie”, “Korn”
“Sound Garden” and “Marilyn Manson”
Lead Guitarist, Rock and Roll Band - “Samhain” 1987-1988
· Hired by Mr. Rick Rubin in New York City, left Towson University to start touring.
· Recorded music for motion picture soundtrack “Less than Zero”.
· Recorded tracks for Samhain CD, “The Final Descent”.
Guitarist and choir member , St. Mark’s Church, Catonsville, MD 1979-1983
· Played service music and accompanied adult choir.
· Acting choir director as needed.
Teaching and Other accomplishments:
Private Music Tutor – guitar lessons 1998-present
· Taught classical, rock and popular styles, advanced students.
· Trained students in performance, improvisation, and composition.
· Mentored Mike Hartman in a production “Black Glue” for a non-profit group
o “Make a Wish” Foundation
Guitar Instructional Book – “Shortcuts in the Practice Zone “ 2015 – present
· Book is being prepared for publishing.
Chart positions for Danzig Recordings:
· Most of the recordings made for Danzig have reached the top 200th position in
both the U.S. and Europe.
· Sales of “Danzig” reached 500,000 units.
· Sales of “Thrall Demonsweat Live” reached 500,000 units.
SEMINARS AND ENDORSEMENTS
· Lexicon - Winter NAMM show, CA. Seminar and Instructor. July 2000
· Instructor Florida Guitar Show. Thoroughbred Music’s Kapok Pavilion, FL. March 1997
· Ibanez guitars, San Jose CA. Seminar and Instructor. July 1995
· Ibanez guitars, Thoroughbred Music. FL.Seminar and Instructor. July 1994
RECORDINGS AND PRODUCTIONS
Knoll, J. (1996) One Song. [Recorded by Guitar World Magazine]. On Guitars That Rule the World, Vol. 2; Smell the Fuzz.. [CD]. Location: New York: Guitar World Magazine.
Knoll, J. (1994) For Christ’s Sake. On Guitar’s Practicing Musicians, Vol III. [CD]. New York: Guitar Recordings, Inc.
Composed music for Motion Pictures/Television Broadcast
Knoll, J. (1995) Music Trailer [Recorded by Warner Brothers]. Heat. [Motion Picture]. Burbank, CA. Warner Brothers studios.
Knoll, J. (1995) Music trailer[Recorded by Dark Brothers]. On New Wave Hookers 4. [Motion Picture soundtrack]. New York: VCA.
Knoll, J. (1994) Music Trailer [Recorded by ABC for television promos]. On A Place for Annie. [Motion Picture]. New York; ABC studios.
Knoll, J. (1994) Oh Lord Have Mercy [Recorded by Ashley Irwin]. On Stranger By Night. [Motion Picture soundtrack]. New York: New York City Releasing.
Knoll, J. (1993) Music trailer [Recorded by ABC]. May sweeps campaign. [Soundtrack]. Los Angeles: CA Releasing.
Knoll, J. (1991) Music trailer [Recorded by CBS]. Passion. [Motion Picture soundtrack]. New York: New York City Releasing.
Danzig, G. (1987) You and Me (Less Than Zero). [Recorded by Glenn Danzig, Rick Rubin Glenn Danzig & the Power and Fury Orchestra] OnLess Than Zero [Motion Picture soundtrack]. New York: Def Jam.
SPECIAL PROJECTS AND CONTRIBUTIONS
· “John and Ted’s Excellent Adventure”. Interview reprinted from Guitar Magazine, 1995, pp 2-7. Cherry Lane Music Company, NY, NY.
· Miller, G. (1998, May). Metal Wire. Metal Edge, 32-33.
· Danzig. (1994). Two television appearances on the John Steward Show. NY, NY.
· Boehm, M. (1994, November 2). Danzig Falters: Type O Gives Infusion of Energy. Los Angeles Times, pp. F1, F3.
· Mayhew, D. (1994, October 30). Guitarist’s Workload Runs away with him. The Orange County Register, p. 39.
· Gilbert, J. (1994, November).Divine Intervention. Guitar School, 22-30, 135-135.
· D’Aquisto Strings. (1994, November). (Advertisement for D’Aquisto Strings). Guitar School, 19.
· Christ, J. (1994, October). 48 Hours in the Life of Danzig’s John Christ. Guitar for the Practicing Musician, 30-36.
· D’Aquisto Strings. (1994, October). (Advertisement for D’Aquisto Strings). Guitar for the Practicing Musician, 19.
· Young, J. (1994, August). Danzig Knows the Power of the Dark Side. Musician, 38-45, 95.
· Kitts, J. (1994, July). Prime Cuts. Guitar School, 10-12.
· Christ, J. (1994, October ). I Walked With a Zombie. Guitar for the Practicing Musician, 30-36.
· Danzig. (1990-1994) Featured songs on MTV show “Beavis and Butthead”.
· Gitter, M. (1993, November). Danzig Demonseed. Rip, 54-56.
· Christ, J. (1993, July). Mind Jam. Guitar for the Practicing Musician, 30-36.
· Christ, J. (1992) Lead guitarist with the television house orchestra, “Hey Hey It’s Saturday”. Australia.
· Di Perna, A. (1992, September). Profile John Christ: Danzig’s Guitar Messiah. Guitar Player, 31-32.
· Thrush, G. (1992, August). Danzig’s John Christ, Messianic Depression. Guitar World, 17.
· Gitter, M. (1992, July). All Hell’s Breakin’ Loose: Danzig. Pulse! 109.
· Considine, J. D. (1992, July 9-23). Recordings. Rolling Stone Magazine, 105.
· Weidenbaum, M. (1990, August). Horror Business. Pulse! 43.
· Gutman, B. (1990, July). Music Video. Pulse! 72.
· Chirazi, S. (1990 July). Danzig: Into the Black. Rip 68-71.
· Huggott, R. (1989, June). Danzig: Power Pioneers. Power Metal, 16-17.
· Natanael, C. (1989, May). Dancing With Danzig. Metal Mania, 59-61.
· Zogbi, M. (1989, May). Danzig Days Are Here 3.9Again. Metal Shop, Teenstars Photo Album, 18-19.
· Gitter, M. (1988, December). A Misfit Reborn. Rip 54-56.
· Miller, G. (1988, May). Metal Wire. Metal Edge, 32-33.
HONORS AND AWARDS
· Gold Album (1994): “Danzig” Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA)
· International Billboard top 200 hit – “Mother”; (1993) also debuted at 48 in the U.S.
· Gold Album (1991): “Danzig” Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA)
· John Knoll’s Guitar was displayed at the Hard Rock Café (2001), Baltimore, MD
Interviews, Guest Lecturer and Volunteer Work
· WTTR radio interview. (Feb 2015)
· The Changing Stage Radio Interview. (Mar 8, 2014)
· Eldersburg Middle School. Rock and Roll seminar, Eldersburg MD. (June 2014)
· Santa Clarita Sheriff’s Station (2009-2010): Lectures provided on my life, accident, and recovery to play guitar after rehabilitation. Santa Clarita, CA.
· Taylor Manor Hospital (1994-1995): Lectures provided on my life and career with “Danzig”, Ellicott City, MD.